A beautiful hometown with a weird development

Those friends who know me, that they will also know I'm from Ipoh. Ipoh is the 4th biggest city in Malaysia which located in Perak. This city was named Paloh last time, which it is once of the largest tin production place in the world.

I was read a blogsite which belongs to a girl maybe, I don't know her, just passing by to read her post. You may click here and read it. She wrotes about Ipoh. I may say that, Ipoh has "take care" of me about 20 years until now. But what I can say it is, this place are not similiar with KL or Penang. There are people said that it is even not as nice as Melaka. A few of my friends also laugh that, Ipoh seems is more suitable for old folks, which they don't like go anywhere and stay in house. Without any offence, I totally agree what they said. Yeah! there is some beautiful scenes that you can't found in KL or Penang such as greeny streets, trees are big with a wide shades. Unlike KL which only plants palms trees for only minor beauty.

This is the picture of Ipoh Skyline. What you can see is a large housing and shops, with a few higher structures at the city center. In this picture, it shows the 4th largest city in the country, but you won't able to find anyone of skycrapers here, not even a building which having over 200 metres height.

This is the Ipoh Skyline at night. But this picture let me remember something, without an offence, but it is true: It looks like the Baghdad after war. In this picture, it seems everywhere are only houses and shops. No structures, no towers, no any local attraction.

I am not the one who always travel, because of my family. I live for 20 years and never finish hanging around in Mid Valley, because I only go KL for about 4 times in this 20 years. Anyway, I still know from my sister anf friends, that how KL entertainment are nicer. Through their experience, my sister stay there for few days but not yet finish hanging One Utama. I still remember the only one thing I can finish Hanging is the Times Square. Its really weird that the Times Square is seems like Ipoh Parade, that really can finish walking in a night, and yet, there are someone said that it can develop the tourism and economy. I wonder how economy now has develop, but this place is just a joke for tourist. This area not as big as HK Times Square, and never compare to NY Times Square.

I went to Penang last month. I just have go for Queensbay Mall, Penang Times Square and Gurney Plaza for shopping. What I can feel is, I still can walk for half day at there. Compare to Ipoh Parade and Kinta City, hahahahaha! Don't even compare! I feel embarass for it!

I wondering. It seems someone doesn't know what citizens are need for entertainment. They doesn't know what tourist are usually like when visit somewhere new. Some friends I know from other places, they never come Ipoh before but only heard about it. When they ask me what Ipoh have, I totally cannot list out except tauge ayam and Ipoh Parade. For youngster, they seldom go for temples, or they not interested to go for many times. When people ask me what I have in my hometown, physically I saw boredom in this place. You want entertainment? You will scream and feel wanna leave this place. What you find except malls, there are pubs and cyber cafe, or some places which more food and drinks. But is there enough? I think not. When you do a survey, I think people will find that is still lack of entertainment here, even a larger shopping center.


Ah! This picture is a memory. 八角楼, the main shopping center at about 60's. I still remember this place. I went there few times before when I was a boy. That time it is not a main shopping center anymore, it becomes traditional shops. I remember most of the shops are sells Pomelo, those fruits are hanging like a latern in shops. It is more selling local products. Besides, this building have its special design for this state, and it is a high history value local attration or a label for Ipoh.

This is the building at year 1961. You can compare to the picture above, some buildings are also appear at the 60's. At year 2001, it is being demolished, and what a kidding is, this historical place is become a CAR PARK!

What a joke! You really can't believe that something which is worth to keep it, someone has simply demolish it and become car parks! If the word CONVENIENCE is their reason, I wonder why they don't demolish MBI building and become car park also, sicne there are not enough parking lots in Ipoh Parade. Thats why Ipoh is lack of attraction, when those people are not wise enough. Blindly think that everything is better to be in convenience and modern, they never know that historical structures are also one of the interest for tourist and citizens. It is their label of their devolopment stories for this city, and without any consideration, they demolish it.

It is a shame that this place are slowly become more bored and "dying". Before that still have local goverment plan to devolop it. But it is become history. What I want to say is, something which change it to modern is just a physical looks but no worth in it. Things which is old can be repair but which is already "died", it cannot be revive anymore. It is just a look when you rebuild even how great is your plan. It is not 40 years old building anymore, it is just a start new born "historical" label. Say it honestly, it is just a clon, and no any historical value.

Ipoh has a lot of business center. Yeah! Many empty lands are become business centers like banks, insurance center, but no shooping center. And yet, there are still empty lots for this "development". I wonder did they really plan and expect enough before they start the project. There was many shop lots on Greentown, beautifully named as Greentown Business Center. But it is still feel like dying area, because still no entertainment. It is just office and banks, they are private.

I dream that, this business center are the one should be demolish, and use the whole land to build a shopping mall, or a plaza. I dream in my mind, that this land should be build Ipoh Times Square, which is more bigger that Penang Times Square, and more higher than KL Times Square. In my mind, I can see 6 stories of shopping complex with divide into east and west block, one block was extra build a 50 stories of hotel, with have 5 stories of entertainment center in it. I can dream that Ipoh Parade can be add on with the empty land beside it. I can dream that the other side of the business lots can be build another Century Plaza to add more shopping area in the city center.

But I just dream. I can draw the building, I can design myself, but I wonder who can help me, granted my dream and wish. It is still remain beautiful, but in a weird development. Maybe it can say is, a selfish development.






I hope it is not the problem of the sensitive issues. It is totally a joke in front of the global. And I think, they cannot face the world and the citizens of my hometown, if this kind of weird development is still continue.....

Comments

Popular Posts